November 01, 2007

The Latino Lure

I wrote this poem a couple of years ago, but this time it is posted as a tribute to a people that I have come to respect and love:







Perhaps El Salvadorean...
Honduran, Cuban, maybe Dominican?
A striker, a pitcher, a mid fielder, a goalie
Those are my goals ever so truly.
Ronaldo and Sosa are my heroes eternal.
Baseball and soccer, none other that's certain.
Bachata, Merengue, Salsa, and Punta
Anything 'll do as long as its fiesta.
Mira! Snazzy wheels blaring Spanish tunes!
Pronto, those lovely Latinas do croon.
Seldom we shop at a Stop & Shop,
Bodegas are the more likely stops.
Enrolled in college, one course at a time;
graduating in
four years; now that'd be a crime.
Skimpy tank tops on hour glass figures
Low slung jeans that couldn't possibly go lower.
Streaked and dyed; a brunnette turns blonde.
Blue grey or green, colored lenses as add ons.
A teeny meeny stiletto with pretty white toes
Catches attention, as clip-clop it goes.
Oscar De La Renta or Dolce Gabbana
Fragrance that'd carry from here to Havana.
Bodies so lithe with a grace so natural
Easy on the eye could do damage collateral.
Charmingly laid back, yet with an air to please
Fashionably dressed, carry their crease with ease.
The ever so endearing kiss on the cheek;
if you had it your way, their lips you'd seek.
Latino hearts in NJ are the warmest I'm told
If ever you find one, there's your pot of gold!

8 comments:

net-net4 said...

Hi "I Me My" !!

i left you here your last com on my blog :

Id it is a dit :
How do you do it?
Anatomy and geometry
minus the monotony !


I would like very much to have your new poem on my page....

Id it is said...

net-net4,
I am honored!You color my words in hues so diverse that I begin finding new and hidden meanings in them.

starry said...

Love your poem. so discriptive.

Khakra said...

Latinos rock. Happiest people on earth. Vote for Pedro.

Raza Rumi said...

brilliant poem - there is much of you in it as well - warmth begets warmth..

Indeed, Latinos rock!

Anonymous said...

beautifully written Id. I had to do some thorough research to get accustomed to a few terms yet it was worth.

AVIANA said...

hi!

i love this and i'm a proud latina! love you even more for this! muah!

Anonymous said...

hello

Let me tell you that this is a extraudinary poem, i so proud of you, this is a very beautiful poem,it's show that all latino have to be proud about who they are.

thanks for give to us the oportunity to read such of good poem.
thanks for all.